In-Home Supportive Services
This website is for Santa Clara County, for other counties click here.
The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program is a federal, state, and locally funded program designed to provide assistance to those eligible aged, blind, and disabled individuals who, without this care, would be unable to remain safely in their own homes. IHSS provides services according to the IHSS recipients ability to perform daily activities, and can include feeding, bathing, dressing, housekeeping, laundry, shopping, meal preparation and clean up, respiration, bowel & bladder care, moving in and out of bed, rubbing the skin (to prevent skin breakdown), accompaniment to medical appointments, paramedical services, and protective supervision.
IHSS recipients are responsible for locating their own independent providers, for hiring and supervising their independent providers, and for firing the independent provider if the services are not performed according to the client’s specifications. Additionally, Public Authority Services by Sourcewise maintains a registry of individuals available to work as independent providers.
Who Qualifies for IHSS
To be eligible for IHSS, you must be receiving Medi-Cal, be blind, disabled, or 65 years of age or older, AND be unable to live at home safely without help. If you are not currently receiving Medi-Cal, please contact the Santa Clara County Social Services Agencys Assistance Application Center (877)962-3633 for further details about Medi-Cal eligibility.
IHSS Social Workers determine if you qualify for IHSS by assessing your functional need for specific services and by identifying the amount of time to be allotted for the performance of services. Depending on the amount of your monthly income, you may be required to pay a share of cost for these services.
How to Apply for IHSS
To apply for IHSS, call the Santa Clara County IHSS offices at (408)792-1600 and provide the following information:
- Name, gender, address, telephone number, date of birth, social security number, Medi-Cal number, ethnicity, and language spoken; spouses name, social security number, and date of birth; guardian or contacts name, relationship, and telephone.
- Information related to housing and income, if known; medical problems or diagnoses, including name of medical doctor, address and telephone number; and client’s level of mobility or function (e.g., walks alone or bedbound).
- Information about supportive resources currently being used, if known (e.g., Home Health Agency, Meals-on-Wheels, etc.).
For Providers of In-Home Supportive Services
“WHO DO I CALL?”
IHSS Social Services
353 West Julian Street
San Jose, CA, 95110
IHSS Social Services
P.O. Box 11018
San Jose, CA, 95103-1018
- You need a time card or you havent received your paycheck
- You need tax forms – W-2, W-4, DE-4, Live-In Self-Certification Form for Federal and State Tax Wage Exclusion (SOC 2298)
- You need to report a work injury
- You want to sign up for electronic timesheets www.etimesheets.ihss.ca.gov
- You change your address, phone number, name, etc.
- For Overtime questions choose your language, choose option 2 “Providers”, then option 3 “Overtime”
CALL 1(866)376-7066 FOR DIRECT DEPOSIT OF PROVIDER CHECKS
CALL THE IHSS PUBLIC AUTHORITY FOR THE FOLLOWING SERVICES:
Also visit our website at https://www.pascc.org/
CALL (408)350-3252 PUBLIC AUTHORITY ENROLLMENT WHEN:
- You have a client who wants you to work for them
- You need information about the state requirements for becoming an IHSS provider
- Visit the Public Authority Website at: www.ihss.pascc.org to begin the enrollment process
CALL (408)350-3290 PUBLIC AUTHORITY BENEFITS WHEN:
- You need information about medical, dental, or vision benefits and the service providers of those benefits
- You need to request enrollment packets to apply for benefits
- You need to know the eligibility criteria and cost of coverage
- You need information on the free transportation / VTA SmartPass Clipper Card
CALL (408)350-3251 PUBLIC AUTHORITY REGISTRY WHEN:
- You are a Registry provider and you start or stop working or go on any type of extended leave
- You want to remove your name from the Public Authority Registry
- You need to update your registry profile if you had a change in address, phone number, name, schedule, etc.
* If you are a Registry provider and you are reporting your work availability once every month,
CALL (408)350-3220 PUBLIC AUTHORITY TRAINING WHEN:
- You want to sign up for free home care provider training classes
- You want to learn how to complete your IHSS timesheet visit www.pascc.org/services/providerETSESP.html
- You have questions about steps and criteria to join Public Authority Registry as an Independent Provider
- You have questions about the status of your registry application
CALL (855)810-2015 FOR SEIU LOCAL 2015 UNION MEMBER ACTION CENTER
Revised Oct 2019